Otoplasty can improve shape, position or proportion of the ear as a result of a defect in the ear structure present at birth that becomes more apparent as the child grows or a misshapened ear caused by injury.
Ear surgery creates a more natural ear form by either setting protruding ears back closer to the head or reducing the size of prominent large ears. Otoplasty will help bring balance and proportion to the ears and face.
Correction of even minor ear deformities can have a profound positive effect on one’s self esteem and appearance.
Otoplasty is intended to correct
- Overly large ears
- Protruding ear(s) occurring on one or both ears
Who are candidates?
- healthy, >5 years age when full ear growth achieved, without life threatening illnesses or chronic untreated ear infections
- compliant and follows instructions
- realistic expectations
- approximately one hour procedure
- either in office under local anesthesia with oral premedication or in outpatient surgicenter under anesthesia
- well hidden incision and eventual scar behind the ear
- protective head band 6 weeks
- 1 week recovery to light activity
- up to 6 weeks for full physical activity
If considering an elective otoplasty, please schedule an appointment with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your individual concerns and possible surgical correction.