2015: Resolve to Have the Best Skin of Your Life!
The New Year is the perfect time to start a new skin care routine. Here are five simple steps towards a beautiful complexion, and healthier, younger looking skin!
1. Wash your face before bed. We all do it. After a long day, we’re just too tired to go through the process of washing our face, and fall asleep with the day’s makeup and pollution still on our faces. Makeup and impurities left on overnight can cause build up and clog pores, increasing your chance for breakouts, and dull, dry, skin.
2. Hydrate. Water helps your body flush out toxins, which promotes clearer, brighter skin. An easy rule of thumb is “8×8” – meaning a minimum of eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day — even more if you exercise frequently, or live in a hot, humid climate. Monitor your water intake by measuring out your daily requirement in a large pitcher or individual water bottles and aim to finish them by the end of each day.
3. Add a retinoid. A small drop massaged into your face every day activates skin cell turnover and helps to fade hyper-pigmentation and prevent acne.
4. Stress Less. Exercise More! High levels of stress hormones can cause systemic inflammation which often leads to breakouts. Exercise reduces stress levels, gives skin a healthy glow, and has been shown to help reverse signs of aging.
5. Sunscreen Everyday! We all know that sun damage causes premature aging and wrinkles, and also increases oil production which leads to acne. But, many people pack away their sunscreen in the winter. Ultraviolet rays can cause hyper-pigmentation year round, so sunscreen should be a part of your routine 365 days a year. Yep! Even during the winter! (And, stay out of tanning booths!)
For the very best start towards beautiful skin in the New Year, we suggest a free consultation with one of our highly skilled aestheticians in our Newark or Hockessin, Delaware locations. They can optimize treatments and products to meet your personal needs and monitor your treatment progress throughout the year ahead!